Saturday 17 November 2012

The "Goodest" Boy

Today I will tell you of a memory I have had – many times… It is a memory of my very sweet little boy, Devry.

Devry was a very quiet, very sweet boy, and usually very mild mannered (except when he threw tantrums. But I don’t think he knew about his tantrums, perhaps because it was never his intention to tantrum. ;) But he knew of his intentions, and they were GOOD. And like all goodness, when we experience it we get a feeling inside that some describe as “warm and fuzzy.” And it just puts a person in such a content and happy state that you simply glow with peace and joy.
 
This was the state Devry was in one day when, perhaps around the age of 6, as he sweetly and reverently told me something...  
“Mom. I’m the goodest boy.”
(I think he may have shook his head up and down - followed by content and peaceful smile…)
“I am. I’m the goodest.J
 I laughed for joy. Not because he was right, or because he was wasn't wrong, but because he saw the best in himself. 

“You are right, Devry. You are good. But always remember that other people have goodness in them, too. Don’t ever let yourself think you are better than them.”  And I hugged that sweet little boy.

Forward now to the present - I love driving Devry to seminary for the brief talks that we can have. Yesterday as we drove down the road I reminded Devry of this memory. I then told him how much I love him and of how thankful I am that he IS a “good boy.” And I told him this…


There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us.
Edward Wallis Hoch

This morning as I woke I thought of a few more things...   When I told Devry he was no better than others, I should have told him that he was no worse either.

I don't recall doing so, but knowing what I now know, if I had little children today
I would tell them this;
 
Always LOOK for the good
 - in yourself and in others -
and you are sure to find it.

Maybe I didn't need to say this to Devry; he already knew... I’ve never heard a word of criticism from his lips about any of his friends, ever. One of Devry’s gifts is that he sees the best in everyone.J 

I never thought of it before until this very moment. But maybe this was made possible because he first saw the best in himself. Devry is capable of following the Savior’s admonition to “love his neighbor as himself” because he first loved himself… :) - What an awesome example he is to me!

I am SO thankful for Devry! :D
Corine :D
 
 PS. Here are a few of my favorite quotes and thoughts/beliefs which agree with this post:
 
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."
                                      Jesus Christ
                                    Proverbs 23:7
 
 "We could spend weeks, months, even years laboring with the Personality Ethic trying to change our attitudes and behaviors and not even begin to approach the phenomenon of change that occurs spontaneously when we see things differently."                                 Stephen R. Covey
 
 

"Promise me you'll always remember;
You're braver than you believe, and
stronger than you seem, and
smarter than you think."
 A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
 
I believe the good and bad within us are at war with each other, and that the one we give the most attention to, the one we think about the most, and believe in the mostTHAT is the part that wins.

I believe this is true about our perceptions of others as well. There is good and bad in us all, and either or both can be perceived. What we SEE, is what we LOOK for. There is so much more than what we see!!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment