Tuesday 9 April 2013

Earthly Father, Heavenly Father

Father: Son, careful where you walk...
Son: Father, you be careful where you walk;
for that is how I know where to step...
Today I'm going way back, but I think it's worthwhile... :) In January I went out of town for a couple of weeks, to the home of my brother, Nate, to help care for his children while his wife was out of town. I wrote about this at the time, but failed to post. Here I am; better late than never! :D I was so blessed to have been able to be with Nate's family again! :) And blessed to watch my brother act as father to his young children. Here are a few notes I made while visiting Nate...

Nate is a WONDERFUL father. :) I watch him leave early each morning while the kids sleep, to learn and work to provide for their needs. At the end of each long day he hugs, cuddles, and plays with his the kids.

Before his tiny young children (5 children ages 7 and under) retire to bed he gathers them round and teaches them from the scriptures. They memorize scriptures and talk about them together with joy and enthusiasm (Nate knows how to make it fun! :).

Then everyone kneels together for family prayer... The children are happy. They love the Lord and know they are loved in return. Each of them excitedly proclaims their desire to be the one to say the prayer. This young father thinks about who said it last, and tells his children whose turn it is. This decision is often met with a few pouts over not being the one who gets to say it... especially from the three year old - who can almost always be counted on to drop his head slowly as he breathes out a big sigh and hangs his arms down and his lower lip out when he is not the one chosen; he is SO CUTE!

The young family pray together, then dad tucks them lovingly into bed; of course I don't let him have all the fun and I have to get my hugs in as well... :)

It all reminds me of this video and of the love our Father in Heaven must have for each of us...



I realize that no father is perfect every moment of every day. But fathers love their kids. They work hard to provide for their family's needs, both spiritually and temporally. They deserve forgiveness for their shortcomings, and gratitude for all that they do...

To all you faithful fathers out there... To my husband, my father and his father, brothers, uncles etc, and especially to our Father in Heaven, who is the perfect example and father to us all... Thank you - for the security and joy you so diligently provide to our families. :)

Corine :D

No comments:

Post a Comment